Every day is a new opportunity to have a fresh start! On this note – New Year wishes to you all! Happy 2019!
The past year has been a silent one in terms of blogging because I somehow went into a creative block. I could not get myself to organize my time for the blog with the kid, classes, household chores, photography, and travel.
But no complaints, because the break was a much needed one! I got to travel a lot, see new places and got a chance to improve my photography skills!
So, here is my first post on the first week of the new year!
This recipe is inspired by my love for salads and the fact that roti is part of the everyday meal in my household. The spicy tofu dressing is the protein portion of the meal and the inspiration for this is the simple tomato peanut chutney 😛
So presenting to you, the SALAD WRAP – with TOFU DRESSING!
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Makes: 2 wraps
For the dressing:
- Oil – 2 Tsp
- Tomatoes – 2 small
- Garlic – 1 clove
- Cumin seeds – 1 Tsp
- Silken Tofu – 2 Tbsp*
- Roasted peanuts – 1 Tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 Tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 Tsp
*Make sure to use only the soft silken tofu, any other kind will not yield the smooth texture needed for the dressing.
For the Salad filling:
- Romaine Lettuce – 1 small cup – chopped finely
- Shredded Carrots – a handful
- Cherry tomatoes – 3 to 4 – cut in quarters
- Small Cucumber – 1 or 2 – chopped finely
- Medium Firm Tofu – few cubes – shallow fried
- Sliced almonds – 1 Tsp
For the Wrap:
- Whole wheat roti/tortillas
- Ghee/Butter – 1 Tsp
- In a pan, heat oil and add the cumin seeds.
- Saute till the cumin seeds are roasted well.
- Next, add the garlic. Sauté till done.
- Now, add the coarsely chopped tomatoes. Sauté and cook till the tomatoes are mushy.
- When the tomatoes are done, add the red chilli powder and salt. Mix well and allow to cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Once done, turn off heat and then add the roasted peanuts and tofu.
- Mix well and allow it to cool.
- Once cool, grind into a fine paste with 1/2 tsp of sugar. If you feel the dressing is too thick add little water to adjust the consistency to perfection.
- Keep it aside; while you prepare for the salad filling.
- Chop all the veggies required for the salad.
- Optionally, you can shallow fry the tofu cubes if you do not like to eat them raw.
- In a mixing bowl, add all the veggies and the tofu. Mix well.
- Add salt and the spicy dressing. Mix well.
- Your salad filling is ready for the wrap.
Making the wrap:
- Take the whole wheat rotis or tortillas. Spread ghee or butter on the top.
- Take a tbsp of the Spicy tofu dressing and smear on the roti.
- Add the salad filling.
- Roll the roti/tortilla to make it into a wrap.